Trinity Lutheran Church is a member of The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod, which has about 6,100 congregations and 2.6 million baptized members. We emphasize the local congregation. That’s where people are touched one-to-one. That is where the Word is taught and our sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper sustain our life with God.
Our Synod, or national organization, serves in support of and on behalf of its local member congregations. Support includes Sunday school lessons, hymn books, resources for ministry and worship material. Local churches receive help for special areas of ministry to serve people in both the congregation and the community
As a Synod, we combine our strengths and resources to do things that individual congregations can’t do. We send missionaries to other countries and maintain colleges and seminaries, provide loan funds for building churches, and operate a health and retirement system for full-time church workers.
The word synod comes from two Greek words: syn, meaning “a meeting or assembly,” and hodos, meaning a “way or journey.” We describe ourselves as congregations “walking together,” because our congregations all confess and practice the same teachings of God’s Word.
The Synod was formed in 1847 by 16 congregations, representing German Lutheran settlements in several U.S. locations. It was first known as the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and Other States.
While our forefathers were German, today we count members with ancestry from every continent, including North America. The national office is located in Kirkwood, Missouri, part of the St. Louis metropolitan area.
Together we coordinate missionaries in 43 other countries and connect with 19 partner churches worldwide.